Trending This Month

Monday, April 13, 2020

A QUICK CONVERSATION WITH URA SENSEI

Ura Sensei draws his inspiration from within. His music is an extension of himself, thus each layer holds a piece of his story. His songs holds elements of old school style. Lyrically, he likes tends to speak what’s on his mind, delivering a message or a good time. Ura doesn’t shy away from talking about romance. His single “To My Girlfriend”, is currently his most popular song on Spotify, nearing 20,000 plays. He’s on a path to higher peaks, but will never forget these moments.





What’s your first memory of truly enjoying or creating music?

URA: At age 15, I never saw my father before until that time, he brought me my first mic & a computer to start making music on, never saw him again after that.

Is there a meaning or story behind your stage name?

URA: The anime Yu Yu Hakusho plays a big part in my stage name, I had a couple of stage names (ART, Trippy Art, Art Sensei) but none that were really original to where people can find me and me alone…so a friend of mine took the the main character’s name “Yusuke Urameshi” and mixed it around and I just added “Sensei”…funny how some who still like my music still refer to me as Art Sensei. 

Your music is based in emotion, was it difficult to be vulnerable through your music as a rapper?

URA: Not at all.

How do you select your beats, are any of your works self produced?

URA: YouTube, sometimes Traktrain and I go by type beats but they usually just become small beats people don’t really mess with and those are the best ones. None of my songs are self produced but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t make it happen. 

 What has been one of your most difficult tasks while building your career? (Finding a studio, looking for shows, beats, etc.)

URA: Looking for someone to do an article on me & looking to get booked for shows even if they’re small shows with 15 people. Where I live it’s hard getting picked when you don’t follow the trends & having an original sound. To most it’s weird..

How have you progressed as an artist since your beginning?

URA: I have so much that I laugh at my older tracks and wondered why did I think this was so good at the time. 

What can we expect from you this year? Will there be a major shift in your sound or approach to how you market yourself?

URA: Honestly….I can’t really say much but new songs, hopefully you might see me in other blogs…as far as marketing, just maybe if I do it correctly. It’s all about chasing the music bag and staying low-key, my brothers taught me that.

Click here to follow Ura Sensei’s musical journey on Spotify.

No comments:

Post a Comment